View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Here is what I had found before, it is now a source on wikipedia:

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Medi...ion/65-455.pdf

Important Paragraph:

Quote:
We have concluded that this objective can best be achieved by adopting the following policy : Applications for antenna towers higher than 2,000 feet above ground will be presumed to be inconsistent with the public interest, and the applicant will have a burden of overcoming that strong presumption. The applicant must accompany its application with a detailed showing directed to meeting this burden. Only in the exceptional case, where the Commission concludes that a clear and compelling showing has been made that there are public interest reasons requiring a tower higher than 2,000 feet above ground, and after the parties have complied with applicable FAA procedures, and full Commission coordination with FAA on the question of menace to air navigation, will a grant be made. Applicants and parties in interest will, of course, be afforded their statutory hearing rights
There you have it, straight from the mouth of the FCC, NO BAN... Restrictions yes, but NO BAN...

It is also important to note that this document also says that Congress had previously considered a law that would have prohibited structures taller than 1000', but that it had not passed. It also says that they were now considering this 2000' law, which I imagine failed. Also, this rule seems to only reference antenna towers which may even suggest that it doesn't apply to actual buildings at all, I'm going to look up the statutes they reference and take a look...

Edit: I can't find anything about any of those resolutions or statutes anywhere on the internet which would suggest that they never passed and are all buried somewhere in the national archives as a mere side note to the one or two days of congressional history that they were actually on the table...

So unless someone can find something I can't, I think we have found the answer to this little myth: IT IS A MYTH! There is some truth to it (as with all myths), that they would have to apply and maybe jump through a few bureaucratic hoops, but THERE IS NO 2000 FOOT HEIGHT RESTRICTION IN THE USA...

Last edited by Nowhereman1280; May 12, 2009 at 5:07 PM.