View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 11:00 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
According to the link the tank would likely be made of concrete. The simple fact though is that you're dealing with water and cost. Concrete is cheap whereas constructing a tank with copper or stainless steel is not and water will eventually corrode both of those alternatives. Everything that holds water will, given sufficient time, leak.

Lastly, a tuned mass damper is a mechanical damper which is essentially what was described as an alternative (a mechanism for absorbing shock mechanically).
Thanks. I like the concept that the engineers of Tapei 101 implemented, which takes away the issues with dealing with water and provides a single point of maintenance over time if that damper needs to be checked or repaired.

I can't help but let my mind wander with the slosh damper, like a layer of aluminum creating a barrier with the concrete which is relatively cheap and fairly resistant against corrosion. In time if there's any issue with the aluminum barrier, drain the tank, install a new barrier and refill the tank. Admittedly a single physical damper that wouldn't need attention for a very long time sounds more desirable even if the upfront cost is more.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo