View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
If you look at Google Maps and track where this would go, it would narowly miss George's Island and land somewhere in the vicinity of the Cunard Center and the Dover Flour mill. The railway cut offers several possibilities for access -- one natural one (but surely contentious) is at the south end of Robie Street; another, even more contentious one is at the south end of Connaught Avenue. The natural demarcation point would be at the end of Quinpool or the start of Joe Howe Drive, but that too would be contentious. However, it does offer a tremendous opportunity to finally do something to move traffic in this town. The Quinpool option would also tie naturally into an eventual Arm crossing.
I'm bringing this issue up because yesterday I noticed a HUGE line up of cars heading towards the Woodside/Circ exit, Russell Lake exit, Portland Street exit, Penhorn exit, and Main St exit. I was travelling towards Burnside and was in utter shock at the gridlock I witnessed. A 3rd crossing makes sense. There has been a lot of growth in the Southern Dartmouth area in recent years and I'm not sure how the existing bridges will handle this growth when they appear to be maxed out now.

The other idea with a 3rd crossing is that you could move goods out of the city much faster as well.

Plus who wants to take a bus from Southern Dartmouth to one of the existing bridges? No thanks, that commute would be a long journey. They might see a real boost traffic on the buses in Southern Dartmouth.