View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:20 PM

Right up our alley
Robert Sweeney's meticulous sketches of Winnipeg's streets and buildings reveal the city's charms

By: Alison Mayes

Posted: 08/11/2011 1:00 AM

"You won't find Robert Sweeney penning irate letters to the editor or organizing protests to save heritage buildings.

"I'm not an activist," the St. James resident says. "I pretty much stick to myself."

But in his own introverted way, Sweeney, 58, is encouraging Winnipeggers to appreciate their unique surroundings. For more than 30 years, the artist and designer has been making meticulously detailed sketches of local buildings, bridges, parks, rivers and street scenes.

"I've always been fascinated with streetscapes and the urban landscape," he says. "It's become a passion to document all aspects of the city."

Sweeney has two upcoming book-signing appearances to promote Portraits of Winnipeg: The River City in Pen and Ink, a slim hardcover collection of nearly 50 of his precise sketches, recently published by Winnipeg's Turnstone Press.

He'll be at McNally Robinson Booksellers Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m., and at Chapters in St. Vital Centre on Aug. 20 from 1 to 4 p.m."

[...]

Full story: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...127508788.html