View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Sites along the bike and pedestrian system are beautiful! I do love the view.

Considering SciWorks has five board members directly connected to the IQ District, including Dr. Eric Tomlinson, and tenants/developers at the power plant have both talked about SciWorks ...I'm 99.99% sure SciWorks will select Bailey Power Plant. Also, the rendering with their logo on it says they likely already made the decision and are finding the money to make it happen. It appears as if at least part of the money is already in place before the other site announced its availability? I think SciWorks will be upstairs, in the office space. The office space on the upper floors is a great match for the size of SciWorks. I've also noticed SciWorks is strengthening its connections to the IQ District and WFU.

Plant 64 Lofts:
I found this update from Mike Fluke on Building A. It looks great with the windows! I think I can see areas where the concrete/cement walls were repaired as well? I'm excited about seeing "Plant 64 Lofts" painted on the historic water tower!

Credit: theurbanmountainbiker

Mike also had this photograph. It's a reflection of Plant 64 Lofts in the windows of Wells Fargo's Linden Center (a technology / IT office for the bank, in the IQ District, which is downtown's technology / research office district).

Credit: theurbanmountainbiker

New Venture Capital Company:
Piedmont Venture Capital joins the list of venture capital companies in Winston-Salem. Piedmont Venture Capital will work with start-ups in software, biotech and nanotech, medical devices and energy, needing as little as $100,000 and as much as $50 million. They have a network of between 300 and 400 institutional and private investors to bring outside money into Winston-Salem for innovation. The firm is currently in due diligence with two local companies. One of them is a medical technology firm and the other is in the energy sector. There are 70 companies in the firm’s pipeline.

New Jobs:
Repreve is adding jobs as part of a multi-million-dollar expansion. The jobs are part of their environmentally-friendly yarn business, which has seen rapid growth from new products for companies such as Ford, The North Face, Nike, Volcom, and Patagonia.

500 West Fifth Street:
Warren Buffett's World Media Group could be interested in space at 500 West Fifth Street (the former Integon Life Insurance Headquarters). It was designed by Welton Becket as the first smart building, during the 1970s energy crisis. This building appeared in many trade magazines, due to this. It is interesting to see companies already seriously looking at it, though the building and space won't be available until September. Yes you can buy the building or lease it. Demand for office space is so high, it appears as if a waiting list is forming before the building is even on the market! If you want to buy the building or lease office space there, contact Greg Wilson at CBRE: (336) 331-9399 For those who want to know: The wall of glass faces the Saurtown Mountains!

Source

Verger Capital Management:
You may remember the post on Winston-Salem's newest financial headquarters from a week or two ago. I found a photograph of an advertisement shoot for the company. This is from one of the apartment buildings around the IQ District. The Nissen Building looks awesome!

Credit: Heather Evan Smith

Comprehensive Cancer Center:
Yes, I know it was completed a few months ago, but we haven't seen this view of it and I think it's an awesome view! Thank you to Colin for sharing this!

Credit: Colin Gibbons

Dinosaur Attack in the IQ District:
The dinosaur is there due to the fundraiser for SciWorks. It does appear as if an announcement of them moving to the Bailey Power Plant is imminent.

Source

Salute Wine Festival:
Salute is by far the biggest of the three wine festivals! Look at the crowd! It's ranked among the "Top 20 Events in the Southeast” by the Southeast Tourism Society! Several magazines were there, so look for articles on Winston-Salem next month!

Credit: City Beat Alternative Weekly Newspaper

Source

Twin City RibFest:
Looking for a reason to visit? RibFest starts tomorrow, June 5-8, across from the convention center, in Twin City Quarter. If you're in Winston-Salem this week to see the construction or to just have fun, be sure to visit the RibFest!