View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:37 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I know it's posted every week, but it is true! Your photographs are what make this thread and we all want to thank you for sharing this city's construction with us.

With two projects working on elevators in today's update, I thought we needed some elevator music! (Ding... This is your floor! Construction updates and proposals)
Video Link

You don't have to listen to that if you don't want to... Looking at the subject matter, I should try to find elevator music for every update. That may lead to the few readers of this thread leaving, though. If you have an "elevator classic" you would like to hear on a future update, let me know.

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Rebar for the stair tower and back-of-house structure. Also, workers cutting window openings for hotel rooms:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum
New Biotech Headquarters in 525@Vine Building:
Drug discovery company, Natural Discoveries has relocated their corporate headquarters to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District and the 525@Vine building ("@ Building").

500 West Fifth:
I'm surprised we didn't see more of the crane at this site.

Credit: ogmikism

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

A 120 square-foot bar top for the upscale downtown grocery store and bistro:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

418 North Trade Street:
People have asked questions about this project and I finally found a photograph of it, so I'll share an update. This building is being restored into someone's home with ground floor retail. It was badly renovated in the 1970s and was restored to look "somewhat" similar to its original appearance. The owner did research the building's original appearance and worked with a local historian. However, it's not a 100% accurate restoration. While it's not a great restoration, it is a big improvement. I guess we can call it a "near-restoration?" Their luxury downtown dream home is on the top two floors and the ground floor is retail space available for lease.

Renovated into someone's luxury home with ground floor retail:

Credit: fourthandtrade

North Patterson Retail:
Look for an amazing transformation, about to start soon, at this neighborhood retail block. These historic storefronts will be renovated, but the renovation will preserve many of the nice historic features of the buildings, such as the tiles on the roof and steel casement windows, while modernizing the entire block. They will also completely transform the streetscape, with new lighting, new decorative sidewalks, street trees, bike racks, landscaping, street-side parking, etc.,. This is near the recently renovated Streamline Moderne 7-UP Building and the Ritz movie theatre. I don't know if I'll add this to our first post proposal list, but we will follow it, if I can find photographs of the progress.

Proposed Renovation:

Credit: City of WS

Currently:

Credit: GSV

I told you this would be an amazing transformation!

Happy Hill Brewing Company:
Are you ready for yet another new brewery! Happy Hill Brewing Company is currently looking for space in the downtown area for a brewery. The brewery would like to
appeal to minority craft beer drinkers, but is open to anyone who loves beer.

Credit: Happy Hill Brewing Co.

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
I've searched and searched for an update on this project and finally found one! This is from last month and the images are a little grainy. I'm still thankful for any update I can find. They are finishing brick and stonework restoration on the three-storey east facade; have installed the roof membrane on the elevator penthouse; glass is installed on the top floor; marble panels were removed, polished, and are ready for re-installation; patching plaster walls; cast iron storefront framing installed; HVAC lines were installed on the second floor; workers are finishing the elevator shaft walls; painting has started on the first floor at track-level.

The building is three floors on the south, east, and west facades and one floor on the north facade:

Credit: Walter Robbs

A rare view of the interior:

Credit: Walter Robbs

Kaleideum Science Museum:
This project is expected to become a national model for museums. They have hired the best exhibit designer and the best architecture team. Sadly, the project is extremely over-budget and they have decided to scale-back the project from 109,000 square feet to just 72,000 square feet. The facility will be expandable, so in the future it can be expanded to the originally proposed size. They also need an additional $12.4 million from the Forsyth County Commissioners and they need $8 million from donors. The project will become a major regional attraction and is said to feature a rooftop outdoor space for adults and children, with a dramatic skyline view and outdoor exhibits, as part of the museum. Adam Sebastian said: “The rooftop becomes an amenity space unlike any other space that we’ve seen in museums in the Southeast." This is expected to become a major attraction for downtown Winston-Salem. So far, commissioners love the design. It also features a planetarium, auditorium, space for traveling exhibits, animal exhibits, retail/restaurant space with outdoor seating, and the rooftop amenity space. The building will open into Liberty Plaza, which will be redesigned. I've heard they will have some animal exhibits in Liberty Plaza, but the renderings don't show this... or really anything in the plaza. It's an exciting project and is still in design.

Credit: Gensler

These renderings have missing buildings and distorted buildings. I'm guessing they are trying to keep their polygon count low? The building in the renderings has roughly the same number of floors as the old bank building they are demolishing for this, but the ceiling heights are higher in a museum, so this could be a taller building than what is there now?

Credit: Gensler

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Workers are now installing the wrap.

Credit: nathanmullinsphotography

Credit: mrkellz79

Credit: owens_daniels_photography

Credit: wsambassadors