¥ ¥ ¥

Getting into some houses...

Quote:
A cutaway house, heavy on the detail

Dave LeBlanc
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Oct. 24 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Oct. 24 2013, 12:03 PM EDT

Long before I knew what “architecture” was, I came across an illustration – I think it was for Ontario Hydro – of the back of a house with the exterior wall removed, so you could see into all the brightly-lit rooms, hallways and staircases, dollhouse style. I must have stared at this thing for weeks, my childhood mind placing me into those spaces, interacting, relaxing and just generally playing grown-up.

So, even today, when I’m able to see a real house exposed like that, it sends a chill up my spine.

Such is the case in North Toronto, where a house designed by architects Kevin Bridgman and Paulo Rocha, and built by high-end builder Eisner Murray, leaves nothing to the imagination for folks lucky enough to get an invitation into the backyard: chairs, lamps, artwork, fireplace and the second-floor master bedroom are all there, ready to fire the imagination.
Read more: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle15044112/

Quote:
A Toronto home calm but alert, minimal without stinginess

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS
Published Thursday, Oct. 17 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Oct. 17 2013, 11:26 AM EDT

The Swiss architect Peter Zumthor has spoken of architectural atmosphere as “this singular density and mood, this feeling of presence, well-being, harmony, beauty” that some buildings embody well.

People on the trail of the perfect house, or who think about architecture at all, are always on the look-out for such atmosphere. And, indeed, one occasionally finds this sense of belonging and homecoming in the single-family homes and even in the residential high-rises we visit. But when we do discover it, the atmosphere is rarely delivered with more tact and clean, quiet grace than I experienced last week in a new house in the South Hill neighbourhood in midtown Toronto.

The dwelling was designed for a young family of five by a team at Atelier Kastelic Buffey (AKB), a local architectural and design firm whose principals, as it happens, have been studying and learning from the work of Zumthor for several years.
Read more: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle14903185/

Quote:
A pillar of light amidst the dark brick of Mt. Pleasant

Dave LeBlanc
Published Thursday, Feb. 27 2014, 8:21 AM EST
Last updated Thursday, Feb. 27 2014, 8:54 AM EST

The eyeball in the wall is watching.

Luckily, since it’s positioned on a concrete wall near the back of the house, it’s watching proud new homeowners Rasheed and Christine rather than the neighbours. Well, it isn’t watching them yet, since the couple (who have asked to withhold surnames) is currently living and working in London, England. But when they move in this summer, it’ll begin its friendly surveillance.

In reality a large, hammered-brass light fixture inserted into a round opening, the “eyeball” by Unitfive Design, is a fun little detail that gives this Drew Mandel-designed home in the Mount Pleasant and St. Clair area an extra layer of “interest and personality.”
Read more: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle17132066/