View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:53 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
We should know better by now than to assume anything that is planned is definite before it actually exists. I am of course talking about the possibility of there being two grocery stores so close to each other. Besides, we live in a capitalist society, and the early bird gets the worm. Whichever development can land the grocery store first and make it a success will push out the other one.
I think both stores can make it. We've got so much more growth coming into that entire area, including the redevelopment of Brackenridge and the medical school, and there's also increased demand for better access to quality food as the buying ppwer of nearby neighborhoods is rapidly increasing. Also, I think both of these stores, but especially 1-2 East [I freaking HATE that name], will attract shoppers who are on their way to other parts of town. For example, someone who works downtown and commutes north on 35 might find it more convenient to stop for groceries right by the freeway instead of going to a store in their own neighborhood. There will also be a bustling daytime business for prepared foods. Ideally these would be two fairly distinct grocers so that they're not just cannibalizing one another's customer base. An HEB and a Sprouts, for example, could complement one another without having too much detrimental overlap of target markets.

The Plaza Saltillo location would be a nice opportunity for a new store from a chain that isn't in the Austin area yet, to enter the Austin market with a splash. It's going to be a highly visible location for getting the attention of the prized young, trendy, upwardly-mobile "opinion maker" demographic, and it will inevitably be a hotspot during SXSW and similar events that spill over into east Austin. It would be foolish to put a traditional supermarket there, it needs to be something that fully integrates into the scene and takes advantage of the possibilities that the location presents. A variation on the Central Market theme could work beautifully, incorporating outdoor seating, decks, and at least one music venue.

Last edited by Tech House; Dec 16, 2015 at 7:04 AM.