View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Yay! More fees! The answer to everything -- higher taxes, and more fees! God knows we don't have enough of that in New York.

And I agree..no way will New York ever to be able to function without higher taxes, more fees! Gosh, I can't wait to finally experience New York when it is a functioning city! God knows New York doesn't function. What a mess of a city. New York will never be a world city until we finally find a way for it to function! Maybe when we can finally get New York to function it will become desirable enough to get people to drop $30mm, $50mm and $100mm on apartments! And we can finally get some tourists to this functioning city! And maybe we can create a world renowned financial system! We'll name it Wall Street!

/sarc.

Just widen the sidewalks, landscape heavily and stfu. I'm so sick of (generally unattractive) pedestrian plazas and shoving more people onto the unbearably crowded and rat infested subway system being the answer to every 'progressive's' wet dream. Or better yet -- take the silly pedestrian plazas to the East Village and Williamsburg and leave money-making Midtown Manhattan alone. It is the richest and most important place on the planet and the last thing it needs is more ridiculous street blockages disturbing commerce and their limos.
What an foolish and pathetic diatribe, wow. Go be angry and aggressive elsewhere please, this is not a place to tell people to 'STFU' just because you disagree with their ideas. You sound like one of those rich conservatives who has absolutely no idea about cities or the people that inhabit them, but instead care only about those 'limo riding' elites.. what a pathetic selfish attitude. The only thing I know and what makes me laugh with glee, is that I can predict that you are going to be annoyed for years to come as the city becomes even more 'progressive' and implements more and more progressive schemes, and I doubt there is anything people like you can do to stop it. Instead you can get angrier and angrier while the rest of us enjoy a better more livable city. Why don't you move to Houston, you'll be happy there with nobody on the street, no subway and endless highway widening, and NO riff-raff using their silly 'progressive' pedestrian plazas or bike shares, lol.

Oh, and did you know that Tokyo, the city with the greatest GDP on the planet, closes some of its major commercial shopping streets on the weekends to traffic? Did you know that Hong Kong, the financial center of Asia closes many of its streets to shoppers at various times of the day? Did you know that Shanghai, the rising new 'NEW YORK' of Asia, has a huge major commercial street and plaza completely car free? It isn't just the amsterdams, the munichs and the Barcelonas that do this, it is also the cities that are the leading business centers in the world.

Your arguments that such improvements to cities interfere with commerce is completely without foundation and you have no evidence that this would occur in NYC given the same implementation there, you are instead acting out of fear of the unknown.

Last edited by aquablue; Dec 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM.