View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
My second thought was, would it actually be nice to have a house overlooking the industrial canal? I don't exactly think of it is as being picturesque. Quite the opposite, actually. Am I incorrect?
No, you're absolutely correct, but there's nothing stopping it from looking picturesque in the future.

A development of homes, condos, boat docks, and retirement communities could be interconnected with linear parks, trees, bike paths, and have a stunning view of ship/barge traffic. Furthermore, if the bridges along the canal were repainted regularly (the legislature has voted to entirely replace the Florida Ave. bridge), the view has the potential to be stellar. I think another big catch would be the fact that your boat could be in Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Borgne, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Mississippi River within a few minutes.

The main point is that New Orleans has no true waterfront property, except for one half of Bayou St. John - which is end to end multi-million dollar homes. Developing some of the Industrial Canal/Intracoastal would allow for large waterfront developments with enormous lots.

Last edited by Blitzen; Apr 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM.