View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 12:56 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Interesting...

I agree with this statement, that it's a bogus reason...

My guess is that usually the public will blindly take the "experts" at their word because there isn't a great deal of interest in saving historic gems... Little do they know these "experts" are paid by whatever developer to sway public opinion in their direction.

If these "shrug off" excuses really are the case, how has NYC or Boston or Philly or any of the major cities in our nation with a massive stock of pre-1900 and early 1900's architecture been able to retain a good chunk of it?

Buildings like the Kearns bldg or the (now Hotel Monaco) Continental Bank bldg or Boston and Newhouse buildings really give Main St a legitimate feel as opposed to newer boom cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc. While they are larger, there is (at least to me) a glaring fakeness... kind of a Disneyland Main St. feel to all of it.
Right. Salt Lake did a better job at preserving older buildings than most cities, especially out here in the west, but you've always got to wonder what it'd look like today if the Newhouse Hotel and a few other Main Street buildings were still there.