View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 10:23 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
It probably died with the early 90s recession.

I do remember that lot, but the T station sitting vacant for years and Mayor Murphy had talked about Macy's going there - could you imagine that mess, given that Macy's really was/is no different than Kaufmann's and the location is isolated on the fringe of the triangle.
I guess that would make sense, it dying when it did and probably why it did...

About Macy's, why else do you think I made the remark about that? It would have been overkill at the time, and major overkill today.

I could see Allegheny Center being redone as something like that; if they were to somehow put the T underneath South Commons Blvd, and build a new inter-city rail station there. What Penn Station has been relegated to, IMO, is a huge middle finger to Pittsburgh. A substandard rail depot in the rear of the building serving as our city's primary inter-city rail station? From my point of view, it's a freight yard with a canopy...

I have such a vision for this city, and I guess that's all it will ever be. It seems there's no ambition for any future land use planning in this town. It's all about "what could get built and where that could make me (as in the city's officials) look good?"