View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
A city that has mostly historic storefronts right on the sidewalk, and even sidestreets laid in a traditional grid with sidewalks, and you say it's "trying too hard to be pedestrian friendly" As for the newer developments, those are redevelopments that were built within the existing grid, if anything they tried fitting those redevelopments into the existing grid, not the other way around, and they look pretty good as a matter of fact. But I'm sure if the city weren't built the way it is you would criticise it for not being up to the great windy cities standards Nice attempt on bashing Dearborn, but it was a "failure".
Dude, that wasn't very nice. He was just placing an observation. I was actually there with Detroitman taking similar photos. I too commented on the visit that while the existing development was an improvement, it just wasn't cutting it. The buildings are somewhat superscaled, meaning they lack proportion, size, variety, and detailing to convey a more fine grained sense of place.