View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:53 PM
City Maker

Most of the arguments that I hear against allowing ADUs city-wide is that they will affect and change the character of the community (i.e. parking and density) and people invested in single-family neighbourhoods. With the former, I believe that if ADUs are built in an appropriate fashion, which could be regulated by design guidelines and the like, they won't change the character of what are currently single-family neighbhourhoods as: a) parking problems could easily be mitigated; b) those same parking concerns are prevalent in single-family neighbourhoods without ADUs so they could actually be considered as part the potential character of single-family neighbourhoods; and c) two-family plots are hardly a huge change from single-family plots. As such, change to the character of a neighbourhood is a material concern but in this case I would not give it much weight as the change is not substantial.

With regards to buying into single-family neighbourhoods and ADUs decreasing property values, that is not a material consideration and not something the City needs to take into account during the decision making process. Additionally, who is to say the increase in density would not add value to properties as the area would be able to support additional services.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz