View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 8:11 PM
E pluribus unum

Am I missing something here? Maybe its my Cincinnati "can't-do" mentality, but what do others see in Great American that makes it a cut above some of the other retro parks (which, in theory, are just a re-hash of the 1960s-70s cookie-cutter type stadia only with better ameneties aka "Since everyone else has one, we've gotta have one too!").

As far as I'm concerned, the story of Great American Ballpark is modern-day Cincinnati in a nutshell: They had the opportunity to build something great (a la a "Place of the Fans" for the 21st Century) in Broadway Commons, or even a ballpark with an outfield that faced Downtown Cincinnati, but in typical fashion, the damn park was built with a view of the wrong side of the Ohio, and despite the sea of red seats (they're the Cincinnati Reds, go figure!), the building's mix of white and concrete (No green? No red beyond the seats? No multicolored seating as an homage to Riverfront ?) is dreadfully sterile compared to modern parks that were built right (Camden Yards or PNC, for example).

Last edited by Buckeye Native 001; Aug 3, 2007 at 8:17 PM.