View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No, you're misreading my comments. What I said was: If you want to stoke a tax revolt, do as the BC Liberals did with a water torture of continual increases. Sooner or later it blows up, as it has with the BC Libs who as a result are counting down their last 13 months in power now.
But your argument is the same - 'my taxes are always increasing and it's upsetting to me'.

when would taxes ever decrease in the absence of service or project cuts?

I would agree the Campbell libs did an awful job of getting their tax policy message out and did themselves in with the HST rollout especially. Even though the current tax environment is competitive, even for personal income tax. To their credit, they introduced policies that cost them a lot in political capital but IMO are far-sighted (eg. means-testing pharmacare for seniors).

I'm not sure we'll see anymore ground-breaking ideas from this govt anytime soon.

I would agree that we will likely have a change in govt in the future. Maybe they will change TL governance and funding, hopefully for the better.

If we do have a chg in govt, dollars to donuts we will see that increase to income tax that you are hoping for - we'll see if that will solve long-term funding issues for TL.

Last edited by mezzanine; Apr 16, 2012 at 4:11 AM.