View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Not directly. You'd want to get a professional.

I mean in reality face to face communication is the best way. But the other person has to know what they are looking for.

I can generally spot a relatively standard case from about 100 feet away(it's all body posture, eye movements etc)

Although it's a good bit like spotting an accent.

If it's mild enough that you move somewhat normally it's near impossible for me to tell.

Oddly enough when I worked door to door sales a few of my coworkers could pick up on that shit without even realising it.

Keeping in mind the medical community is overly focused on people with classical autism, and people showing blatant deficits in functioning in adult life.

If you make it through school and be moderately successful you don't exist as far as some people are concerned.

My girlfriend had to go from vancouver to montreal to get someone who was familiar with the very different behaviours of autistic women.
My 46 year old brother is autistic. He works, lives on his own and drives his own car. I'm loath to say high functioning but that is how I describe his abilities to others. When he was a baby we as a family were at our wits end as to what the issue was. This was rural SW Manitoba in the early 70's so even the doctors had no idea what was going on.

I feel that the spectrum is larger than we think and that all of us have some level of it. I have two second cousins who have been diagnosed but they are coping quite well and are getting much more help than what my brother ever did.