View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:43 PM
pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
In June they're starting [Rush+]... I think they're doing this in part to alleviate some of the crowding on the orange line, but also to prepare for the inclusion of silver line trains late next year when the portion through Tysons Corner is slated to open.
That's pretty much the reason. By cutting back on Blue Line service, it frees up 6 tph through Rosslyn; those will initially run as Orange Line trains, but eventually will become Silver Line trains. What I don't know yet:
- What times will Rush+ be in operation?
- Those 6 tph will run now as Orange Line between RFK and Largo, which means they'll be cut back to RFK once they become Silver Line. Do the Prince George's reps on the board understand that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Is the flying junction west of Rosslyn station where Orange/Blue converge a Y junction or are all train movements possible?
It's just a Y. There's a really amazing WMATA track diagram online:
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...030-track-map/

As you can see, Metrorail was built without a lot of redundancies -- pocket tracks, junctions, crossovers -- that would give it more options in terms of flexibility, recovering from irrops, etc. Hence, things like why Yellow trains have to turn at MVS instead of Ft. Totten during peak times: there's no pocket track at Ft. Totten, so the current turning maneuver (use the crossover, back into the station) takes too long to accomplish during the peak. Several of these are on Metro's long-term radar, but as we know Rosslyn is drilled into some serious rock and it would be an expensive bit o' tunnel.

Four additional interlinings, including the Rosslyn bypass, and models of how they'd work operationally, are in this TAG presentation: http://planitmetro.com/wp-content/up...2010-FINAL.pdf
Something I (as a neighborhood resident) think is interesting in these TAG presentations is that the system will start to run into core capacity constraints on Yellow and Green south of L'Enfant in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
That would certainly cut back significantly on the convenience of getting from one side of Arlington to the other.
There are also buses... Not sure if ART has long-term plans to add service that will pick up the slack in terms of getting north-south across Arlington, but the service is already much improved from just a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novawolverine View Post
I think what would be great for Arlington, and Fairfax, as far as densifying is concerned is to get some mass-transit on Columbia Pike... I've heard that the Pentagon station had some stub or something in case there was an expansion for metro on Columbia Pike.
Yep, they're visible from within the tunnel just south of Pentagon (and on the track diagram). Skyline (at Bailey's Crossroads) was built in anticipation of that.