View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 2:44 AM

I assume you are talking about the Fresh and Easy...I'm interested as well. I thought for sure there would have been something in Bee or the Oak Park Now blog.

EDIT: I emailed the guy from the Oak Park Now blog. Some good news. Here is his reply:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Design Commission sided with the community and will write into the conditions of approval, four of the five key points we raised! The fifth one was an issue regarding a traffic study and was not a decision the commission had the power to make. We did however, have the traffic engineer present at the hearing. He said that he'll give us the opportunity to pursue whatever actions are available to have a traffic study completed for the intersection and hopefully address the issue of allowing an exit-only driveway at the corner of 34th street and second avenue.

The commission was extremely grateful for the organization and through presentation. They actually came up to us after the hearing and shook our hands rather than us going up to shake theirs. The community was truly proud of it's accomplishments, albeit meager, we struck a balance between running them off and allowing them to silence us. It was a true compromise and no one walked away with a total victory.

Bittersweet in a sense that we feel the store should be squarely located on Broadway at the back of the curb, but we will hopefully end up with a decent design, not great, but decent as Ron Vrilakas stated in our defense last night.

Written in to Conditions of Approval:
1. Broadway Trellis
2. 2nd Ave enhanced sidewalk (public gathering space)
3. Redesign of the Tower along Broadway, now enclosed and included in building footprint
4. Broadway sidewalk access, relocated to the outside edge of parking lot.

No decision:
5.Exit-only drive at 34th Street and 2nd Ave
the community will pursue investigation of dangerous intersection

Last edited by sugit; Oct 17, 2008 at 6:07 AM.