View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:59 AM

Definitely have to disagree with this... nothing about the market ever struck me as yuppie. I shop there several times a week including the outdoor market every Saturday. There has always been a diverse group of people there both customers and vendors. The vendors there are passionate about what they do, are very friendly and great to get to talk with and get to know. The market isn't about attracting tourists with fry bread or Native American trinkets; it's about providing healthy, local food to the surrounding community...empowering the community to make healthy life choices when it comes to nutrition and enabling them to engage directly with the people who produce it (and doesn't carry the expense of going to a place like Whole Foods).

The market has grown into a great community asset...no longer just a place to grab groceries, eat, or grab coffee; it is a place to to meet people, run into people, a place to take people... a place that fostered a greater sense of community...a place that the community has put a lot into. That leads to why I think the greatest reason a lot of people around here are upset is that there was no prior warning or community engagement or plea for help. It's a big loss for the surrounding community and downtown. As a frequent shopper, there was always traffic and so the announcement to shut the doors is pretty surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
The PHX Public Market always feels like white yuppies selling over priced stuff to other white yuppies, until they can get beyond that it'll never be a huge success.