View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 1:52 AM

Southsky, lol. It actually hasn't improved much in Pensacola (and probably never will (darn the timing of this housing bust....with all those dt condos going down)). But that pic of P'cola is before there was an I-110 spur, there was still a Municipal Auditorium in that pic, still a San Carlos Hotel, no Grand Hotel (15 floors) or that big white slab bank building (12 floors I think)...several government buildings in the 5-6 floor range, several 6-8 story type office buildings, no Civic Center (which also should bug yall like the airport stuff bugs yall, since it also kicks the Mobile one to death) and no Port Royal. Might as well post a pic of when the Spanish first tried to build a fort here in the 1400's. Maybe that'd be a painting.

Of course, no one has bothered to take a newer pic of that area since (what? 1950?) as everything I just mentioned doesn't really do a lot to make it look any more significant vs. the likes of Mobile.

There simply is no comparison in economic terms between the two cities. None. I only post here every now and then to combat the overreaction that P'cola = Monroeville or Mayberry. It isn't the one redlight town it gets portrayed as in an attempt to show how much more economically vibrant Mobile is. I don't find the population numbers to be meaningless or in error regardles of all other inequalities.

It's hard to imagine what was once the capitol and largest population of Florida has come to this. I think the San Carlos was once the largest hotel in the South (circa 1920). LOL. Look where we've come. Just a bunch of people doing not much important. It is truly sad. Nevertheless, it isn't quite the joke it gets made out to be here by any stretch.

Last edited by Muskavon; Feb 16, 2009 at 2:20 AM.