View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
The Bronx has such an amazing amount of gorgeous pre-war housing stock. I think it'll become a solidly middle class neighborhood again as we head into the 2010s and 2020s, especially as it doesn't have the flooding issues (at least most of the borough doesn't) that plague BK and Queens.
I don't think flooding issues will play a role, but I do agree that the Bronx is getting more middle class, largely because of the excellent building stock.

The Grand Concourse is all quality construction, throughout its entire run through the Bronx. There are already many newcomers settling into lower Concourse prewar coops. One of my good friends, who is an Assistant Commissioner in NYC govt., just bought here, and he and his wife are expecting a baby, with the intention of this being their long-term residence.

These art deco coop buildings have fantastic bones. They often need to be renovated, but they're generally higher quality than average buildings in Brooklyn and Queens. Remember that the Grand Concourse was built as the "Jewish Park Avenue" in the 1920's and 30's, and, even during the worst years of the 70's, never declined to the same extent as other Bronx corridors.