View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:49 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
You would probably be fine, but, to me, it's crazy to come to Detroit without a car. You will, at least, be using Ubers everywhere.

The attractions in Detroit are VERY spread out, and there are lots of empty spaces in-between. You could, hypothetically, walk everywhere, but they will be long, lonely walks, and there could be potential safety issues, especially with wild dogs (I wouldn't worry so much about people, at least in the core).

I also think it's kinda odd to pick Detroit as a destination if it's your first time in the Eastern U.S., but who knows, we all have different tastes. What would be the specific appeal of walking around Detroit?

Depends on what attractions he wants to see. The streetcar (and of course Lyft or Uber) can get him from downtown up to the museums (DIA and MOCAD), central library, Midtown. Stadiums are all easily accessible now. Opera is Downtown. Symphony is on the street car line. Lots of theaters along the street car line. Night life is all easily accessible. And, of course, all the beautiful rehabs going on is mostly around downtown. Belle Isle/Aquarium would require a ride, but not a long one. Henry Ford Museum would require a ride. Detroit Zoo would require a ride.