View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I think the consensus is there will be 3 lines.

Waterfront - King George
Waterfront -Lougheed
VCC - Douglass

It's hard to know what they will do for sure, but this makes the most sense. Most trains will probably go to Surrey with 1 for each 3 or 4 trains going to Lougheed.

But I'm willing to bet that after a while they will use a shuttle service off peak. During peak hours there isn't enough time to turn trains around at Columbia without disrupting through trains. Heck it happens now with trains just joining the same line (there have been plenty of times when I've had to wait on the Skybridge for a train that just came out of the tunnel to finish up at Columbia).

But off peak, when trains now operate every 4 or 5 minutes, you can make every train go to Surrey, and have a shuttle operate Columbia - Lougheed. It would be a good use of resources as later in the day there is far more demand for going into Surrey than Lougheed (trains leaving Columbia for Surrey are full, for Lougheed less than half).
I'm sure ridership on the loopback route will very much increase if and when the Broadway extension happens, be it to UBC or just the Central Broadway district, not only from riders from that segment, but also from Surrey Expo Line transfers.