View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:59 AM
Frigidus Maximus

newburytoday.co.uk

Hungerford man races up the Empire State Building in New York for charity

A HUNGERFORD man has taken part in the world-famous Empire State Building race.
Fifty-year-old Keith Smibert was one of just four Brits to participate in the Empire State Building Run Up in New York on Tuesday (February 5).
The scramble up the stairs of the fabled skyscraper is done by invitation only and Mr Smibert was amongst only 235 successful applicants from all over the world.
He completed the 1,576-step, 86-floor course in 17 minutes and 15 seconds, in aid of national children's charity Dreams Come True.
Mr Smibert has supported the charity for more than ten years and this latest triumph is his 30th athletic effort.
He has previously run both the New York and London Marathons several times each.
Mr Smibert said: "It's been a dream of mine to run this race since it started in the late ‘70s and I was thrilled when I was invited to take part.
“Not only is it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and something not many people get to do, it's also a fantastic sense of achievement to reach the top and look out over the incredible city of New York.”
He added: “It was an extremely gruelling trial of strength but my extensive hill training beforehand set me in good stead and just knowing I was doing it for such a worthy cause really helped me to keep things going."
Fundraising manager at Dreams Come True, Philip Pride said: "We’d like to congratulate Keith for successfully completing such an extraordinary feat.
“We’re celebrating our 20th anniversary this year and this is one of the most incredible challenges we've come across in this time.”
He added: "The charity relies on the support of our fundraisers and the work that goes into preparing events like this starts many months before the day itself.
“Dreams Come True would like to thank Keith for all his support over the years."
Mr Smibert’s Empire State challenge raised £2,350 for the charity.

WHAT? Didn't even run up to the 102nd floor???

I ❤️ NY