View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:09 AM

The Former St. Joseph Catholic Church

4/17/2017 10th St. at Howard St. This building which has some sort of historical designation is being re-purposed as an office space. The process is taking many years to complete. Due to declining attendance of the church & because the CC church could not afford the seismic upgrade the church sold the property.

I love the color of the exterior - much nicer than that flesh tone previously applied. The grey color brings out the architecture to my eye. Notice the seismic bracing on the south side of the structure. This is going to be a beautiful building when complete.

The slate roof tiles were removed, a new roof installed & the slate put back on. I was wondering if the crosses would be removed but they are being refinished & will remain. There is still a lot of work to be done. The bell towers are in a bad state of decay.

This is not great architecture but I am glad to see it rehabilitated as this kind of building will never be built again in San Francisco. Well, the new Greek Orthodox Church on Valencia Street is an exception.

Across the street is a new apartment building in construction & next door to the former church some more building in the near future. Lots of changes on the block!

The Former St. Joseph Catholic Church by Apollo's Light, on Flickr