View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 8:01 PM
somewhere in-between

I put together a basic chart for Kalamazoo County's latest Census figures, here. I figured I'd do the same for Grand Rapids / Kent County (it's a slow afternoon).

Post #212 of this thread shared US Census Data at the county level. As stated in that post, Kent County was the fastest growing county in the state from 2015 to 2016. The new information released yesterday by the US Census Bureau delves deeper into the numbers, offering estimated population changes for cities, villages, and townships between 2010 and 2016. As a whole, Michigan's population rose 0.5% from 2010 to 2016. Kent County was definitely among the positive contributors to this growth:

I highlighted the major population areas, and any community that had growth in excess of 10%. A few observations on the data:
  • Every population area in the County experienced growth on some level.
  • Algoma Township had the largest percentage of growth, at about 16.1%.
  • Ada Township, Byron Township, Caledonia Township, Cascade Charter Township, Courtland Township, and Vergennes Township all had growth in excess of 10%.
  • Grand Rapids is just a few thousand short of the 200,000 mark.
  • Kentwood City exceeded 50,000 people.
  • Wyoming City exceeded 75,000 people, which means it is now basically tied with Kalamazoo City for population size.