View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Great thread.

I have to ask, am I the only one who gets a strange vibe from New Orleans/Louisiana in general? I don't mean in that in a good or bad way, I'm just so fascinated by the aesthetics of the city, geography, and overall feel. It's like nothing else I've ever seen in the US. Even the downtown CBD looks odd to me, as though I have nothing to compare it to.

I've always seen Louisiana as some mystical, hot, humid place full of secrets. Maybe I'm just weird.
You're not the only one. New Orleans is easily my pick for the most unique city in the US. With the French Square's colonial atmosphere, the above ground cemeteries, the Caribbeanesque slow decay of everything, nothing but swamps and water for miles around, the tragic history, and the air of voodoo and jazz, New Orleans definitely has this sort of haunted, slightly otherwordly feel to it, like it's a city where the past is a specter looking over your shoulder.

This spring break I'm organizing a trip down to New Orleans (my first time) to see the city's atmosphere in person.