View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Organic and Green Structural Expressionism. Things will be based off organic forms and increased efficiency. I think it will be a revival of Structural Expressionism with different rules of what a structure does. Instead of just holding up the building, the form will now help to keep the building cool and various other greening tasks. Some examples of this are coming out of Studio Gang in Chicago with Aqua and Solstice on the Park being the primary highrise examples. We will also see buildings being constructed on cues from nature since many of natures forms are the most efficient. Calatrava gives some examples of this, though his work is not as pure as I think we may see. (the shapes take cues from nature, but the actual structure often does not in his work).

The other big thing in Architecture will be an increase in the use of computers as design tools. You can see this used in conjunction with Green Structural Expressionism, again in Aqua and Solstice on the Park. Both were imagined by humans, but refined into higher efficacy by computers...

Perhaps Structural Expressionism isn't the greatest term to refer to this, but it is certainly the architectural precursor to the buildings and style I am talking about.