View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
I think we should be pushing for the proper solution and put everything around the GO Center.
LH you make a ton of great points and I wish I had time right now to formulate a better response. But for now I want to single out that one sentence and say ABSOULTELY RIGHT ON!

RTH, I'm sorry but I think you are wrong about gore ghosting if the buses are gone. King/James is THE core of the city. It is the ONE spot downtown that needs the least amount of help in terms of getting people in. The proper way to keep gore bustling is to give people some real reasons to go there other than waiting for buses. This means getting vehicles off the south leg and turning the whole thing into an outdoor market every weekend. Host festivals there, have concerts... whatever. Have some REAL attraction there. Bus stops aren't attractions. In fact, huge masses of people waiting for buses there is a sign that our transit system is f'd up as far as wait times go.

The HSR needs a central terminal. It does not have to be a garage, or a specific building, or an enormous structure but the system HAS to have one central spot. The GO station is the perfect choice. The space is there. It's beautiful. It's already built. It links HSR users to regional and long distance transit options.

We need to bring VIA, full service GO and the HSR to Hunter.

We need to creatively route LRT through Hunter. LRT does NOT have to run down a single street. In fact, some intriguing points came up last night.. it might be publicly and politically easier to present an LRT plan that puts the line down some of the less used streets downtown (such as king william).

Anyway lots to think about but the bottom line is that the whole point to the GTTA thing is to create an entire region with sensible links. This means all transit modes should converge at one central spot in each city.