View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 2:42 PM
Closed account

I like the idea of a central 'terminal' at GO Station, but PLEASE, no more knocking down buildings!
Allow me to clarify what I mean by the buses bringing traffic and business to the Gore.
my bus takes me right to King and James... I regularly do my banking, go to the market, stop for a coffee at PAMs etc....
I wouldn't be doing that if my bus ended at Hunter. Well, actually, I personally might, but someone from the east end or Mountain isn't going to want to walk all the way from Hunter to the market and back.
Look at transit hubs in Toronto - full of shops, people, business etc....that was my main point. Transit brings business to the Gore.
Remember that online Spec interview they did when Fred suggested pedestrians only downtown? one shop owner said "none of these cars are stopping to eat in my restaurant, the people walking on the street are".

Transit can and should become a focal point of business/commerce/street life.
Watch how many people waiting for a bus on King St have a coffee in their hand, or pizza or bagel etc..... Hunter would be fine for mountain buses (although I'd rather them turn around at Rebecca or Cannon St) but the east west buses should remain on the north leg of King....and I'd LOVE to see LRT running past Gore. They could open up a piece of the fence on the north side of the park for a platform/station right at Hughson.