View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 5:45 PM

At issue, for me, seems to be the lack of perception by planners. By which I mean to say is that there isn't exactly what I would say a very high demand for any additional ammenities in the area (beyond Urbanists envinced in posts here). The whole district seems geared towards a more "suburban" and middle-class environment (contrasting with the more elitist Pearl District).

I simply don't believe that any additional city spending can significantly alter this area. Personally, rather than trying to form an "entertainment district" as envisioned by the Convention Center blocks (which would fall flat, especially considering we already have one) or a massively subsidized green district (I just don't think Portland has that kind of money) I would prefer to see a neighborhood of mid-rises for families. Honestly, I think it would work better than the existing plans which over-reach and assume too much that something can be created wholly out of nothing.
The city needn't spend excessive amounts of money, but rather just investing it wisely (rather like reducing property tax rates for apartments that offer housing to persons of a middle-income) a great deal more can be done to alter the area.

Let's face it, the Lloyd District won't be another Pearl. The property is divided between dozens of landowners, pre-existing business (much of which isn't stagnating as was the Pre-Pearl), and is home to a frequently noisy urban youth culture. We need a different plan; one that caters to reality rather than fantasy.

Thank you for reading my brief but long-winded response.