View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
I can't believe how beautiful the Merrit Building used to be. I hope some day we will see the lower floors brought back to what they used to be. Can you imagine it looking like that again with decent ground floor retail? Hopefully the May Co renovation will inspire others to get their act together.
The dilapidated condition of the once truly impressive Merrit bldg is one reason why I've long been so angry at all the ppl....including slumlords, swapmeet tenants & their customers....all the ppl who've been a part of a vicious cycle...one enabling the other.....thru the decades. Their departure....their disappearance....won't happen a second too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
In regards to the grunge look I've heard a rumor that Cliftons is leaving their facade as it is NOW. In complete disrepair. That really pisses me off, Huizar should be on top of this type of non-restoration (as well as stopping the 7-stories and the flat-roofs, but he's dropped the ball on it all).
I was worried about that. I don't know what's worse: owner Andrew Meieran thinking the grunge look is hip & cool....if he believes clifton's will feel more authentic with a somewhat shabby facade....or if it's actually cuz his back is up against the wall in meeting expenses.

I guess the latter is worse...or what I thought was the likely reason the new owner of the UA bldg didn't do a complete job on its facade before the ace hotel opened.

Then again, that may be as incorrect as assuming the colors of the new apt bldg in Little tokyo designed by TCA are horrible due to a tight budget.

your great rooftop shots of dt are another reminder why it's important that palmer start work on his new apt bldg asap, since the lower half of broadway still has some major gaps in it. but the pic of the hood looking westward & that shows the new construction in that direction is a reminder too that the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place. Slowly but surely.

btw, I love the way that old bldgs look...like the one where the new cvs store will be located....& how they sort of sparkle after they've been steam cleaned following yrs & yrs of neglect.