View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Thanks always for the photos. With all the encouraging new this past week Commercial Exchange, Metropolis site, review of apts. along Olympic and Fig Central the decades long problem of the homeless continues to cast a shadow on all this activity. Sorry to hear you and other are on the move from the historic core, the area most of us were looking to be reborn. Workers in has-mat suits spraying down sidewalks seems to say it all. We cannot do much for any economic downturn, or act of God but there has to be a solution for this decades long problem. now would be the time it would seem. I'm on the east coast and not comfortable commenting on this issue, but I would like to see the resurgence of downtown continue. I can only hope the many new residents will demand changes after all it is their home.
The resurgence will continue regardless of the homeless issue (look at SF, they're actually booming). The more high-end residential & hotels we get the better things will be. Residents with decent income generally will not tolerate homeless at their buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
While I don't disagree with your sentiments, I do have to say that the homeless problem around 9th and Broadway used to be horrendous. What changed? The Orpheum, the Eastern Columbia, the Ace Hotel etc. The redevelopment of these historic buildings has moved the homeless out of the immediate area because property owners will not not tolerate the filth around their buildings. The game changer for the future is stated in this article in the third paragraph….it gives me hope we an reverse this trend in the historic core. Now, will the Councilman finally let us know if the 1250 units are built? I believe in the historic core and its future abandonment is not an option even though you personally will move out of the area (and that is your prerogative).

http://m.ladowntownnews.com/news/cit....html?mode=jqm

The article above is from 2007.
The "10 feet of a building entrance, business or driveway" isn't enforced at all. I highly doubt they'll tell us once those 1250 units are finished being built (EDIT: just asked a friend in the city who says they're well over 1250 units, but won't do anything because they're afraid of lawsuits) Even if they do, what then? The city is too far-left leaning, too timid, too politically correct, to push these people away for the benefit of safety and businesses in the core.

In my opinion LA City won't do anything about it, the only thing we can hope for is more is more normal people on the streets to bring the ratio to a livable number.