View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
They are a thing in Ontario also and I have a couple theories as to why. One is just simply there seems to be less double garages in Quebec (Montreal anyways) which allows developers to stick a single car garage on the side of the house where a double wouldn't fit. The other theory is that Montreal has more US style sprawl than the rest of Canada which leads to larger lots able to accommodate a side garage.

Montreals sprawl in general is more like the US than you see elsewhere in Canada, more haphazard, exurban, less dense, no sidewalks, larger lots, less walkable, etc. To some that is all good as it leads to the space and privacy people seek in the suburbs but from a planning and land-use perspective it's a bit of a nightmare. The complete lack of sidewalks is what I find the most astounding.
you're right, sidewalks are not popular. But maybe it has to do with the amount of snow and freezing rain we receive every winter. (Montréal 220cm , FZ 50-60mm) - You do know that even in small-mid sized cities, they plow all the sidewalks.

Ottawa is another city where sidewalks are not very popular. Their neighbourhoods are built just like the ones in Montréal. I come from a city where a normal lot is about 9,000sf, no sidewalks unless you live near a school.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Apr 8, 2018 at 7:25 PM.