View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Btw, I don't see what Jack in the Box and TC have to do with your argument, at all. Using them makes no sense.
My point of mentioning that was to say that people go to these places all the time, it is a "destination" for people hundreds of times a day; why is it such a stretch to think that people can't wander 200 ft. to a small sandwich or ice cream shop down the street?

All I was thinking and envisioning was that since Humphreys was already going to be closed off, it could act as a pedestrian walkway towards Oaktree, with two buildings sitting on each side with some retail, just a couple of small spaces, leading towards a main building where Mulberry Village sits/sat (Idk if its still there, don't live there anymore). If you ask for more than an FAR of 1 and get some more units, all of a sudden, the area has some life to it. Nothing extremely special; like WorldTexas said, it doesn't have to be Pearl, but it is a "place".

I also didn't say that anything had to face the fenceline of Ft. Sam, and a dead end has nothing to do with anything if your destination is before the dead end. Technically, mostly every shopping center in the burbs is a dead end since they don't connect to the neighborhoods directly behind them. The key is to go out the same way you came in.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925