View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 10:25 PM

Although I don't care for this project all that much, I find some of these perceptions a bit unfounded. If you actually looked deep for additional info, you'll realize that the "gun turret" is actually above the kitchen counter at the backsplash. Because of this I would assume there would be no need for curtains, which means there will most likely be more visibility out to the sidewalk than a traditional sized window with curtains that are closed all the time. The second floor also provides more glass than any other house in the neighborhood. Both of which will provide a fairly safe environment.
The picture that is being criticized also doesn't show the large expanse of glass on the south face, at the corner.
I'd argue that all these factors make just as much of a "connection to the street" as the houses on either side, with empty porches and closed shades.
Additionally, the ground floor of these units is actually closer to the street than either of the two houses next to it.
And finally, if you look at the house to the south, the neighbor is actually raising that house, and from what I heard it's only because she was so angry at this development that she wanted to block it's light as much as possible...very nice.
Perhaps it best to break perceptions based on one single view and judge things based on actual experience.
But again, i'm not really fond of the overall composition, but some of the arguments are weak.