View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:10 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This, to me, is full-on suburbia. I agree this typology is much more popular for families with kids than a few decades ago, when it was mostly old fogeys, but I wouldn't go so far to say this is "embracing urbanity".

I don't think this lifestyle would be that different than someone living in outer sprawl; it's more that the aesthetics are nicer, restaurants better, fewer rednecks, and shorter commute.
of course, and it's why i said that it's suburbia. it's also a 20 minute walk to downtown clayton (or a 3-4 minute drive), i make the walk to my health club which is in a mixed use skyscraper, or the 50 (or whatever) restaurants down there, grocery store sometimes (i rent a lime bike with a basket for the way back), etc. my neighbors all walk to temple, or often bike or walk to the clayton cbd or the local pre-war strip. there are much more urban pre and post war condo/apt blocks all around there, i just picked the end of that block to highlight the funny trend of jamming mc-mansion type amenities into a closer-in setting. functionally it sort of splits the difference between sprawl and true urban living, although i cannot really say that it's like sprawl at all, as i don't touch an expressway unless i'm going to visit a client site or something. my travel times to anything i need are single digit, unless on foot (which is also common). it's also not really urban living as i understand it, of course, but it's a different life than sprawl, and thank god...