View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:24 AM
TL;DR

You could just connect Elston to Ogden so they form one continuous roadway. Or link them at a riverfront traffic circle. I don't see how that solves the problem I'm describing, though... plus I don't think a bridge replacement is feasible in such a physically constrained site where there are no nearby alternative bridges. I suppose you could stripe it asymmetrically so westbound traffic gets two full lanes and does not back up through the Larrabee intersection - but three car lanes leaves no room for cyclists.

That said, the congestion I experienced recently at Chicago/Larrabee will probably lessen once Halsted is re-opened. Also, CDOT is planning to rebuild the elevated Chicago/Halsted intersection sometime in the next few years. This might reduce congestion by using a better configuration.

Understand that I'm not advocating for more roads to reduce congestion for its own sake - but relieving congestion in the corridor is probably the cheapest way to significantly improve transit service, so long as the road improvements don't produce a pedestrian-hostile environment.