View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 7:30 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Not quite true with respect to Beijing - Beijing West is definitely used for HSR, as I was in Wuhan this week for business and I saw HSR trains advertised as being bound for Beijing West. So like Shanghai, Beijing's also got two stations to handle HSR (Beijing West and Beijing South) but also like Shanghai, only one is pure HSR (Shanghai Station, like Beijing West, also caters to non-HSR trains). Shanghai used to use 3 stations, but Shanghai South now only has non-HSR trains. In fact, Wuhan (population about 10 million) does use 3 stations for HSR (Wuhan, Wuchang, and Hankou) although the only pure HSR station is Wuhan.
Thanks for the clarification. I used to live in Nanjing and would typically only go to Hongqiao in Shanghai and Beijing South in Beijing when I took D or G trains. Nanjing occasionally has D trains go through it, but I think Nanjing South is the only one for G trains, if I remember correctly - but then it's been a couple of years also, so I'm not sure now.

I didn't realize that about Wuhan, but are those separate stops along the way rather than just in Wuhan proper? I've never been through there - had an opportunity for work a while back but had to change it last minute.

I live in Yunnan now and am excited to eventually have HSR from Kunming to Nanning, and then onto Guangzhou, and everywhere else. I very much prefer G and D trains to flying...so much more comfortable and convenient unless I'm going cross-country. Of course, Kunming is targeted as sort of the gateway into China from a SE Asia line that would connect to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore. No clue on how far down the road that would be, if it ever comes to fruition.

....and back to Texas, my home state, I'd be excited for two stops in the two largest metros with eventual connections to Austin and San Antonio. Beyond that, I'm not sure that anything would be practical at this time. Other metros simply aren't populated enough to merit the money spent on stations, tracks, etc. Just my opinion, of course, but I feel like it's not too far off. I do think that something like Lone Star Rail (proposed for Austin to San Antonio), which is largely similar to TRE in DFW, would be good to expand and connect to other areas (smaller metros such as Corpus Christi, Rio Grande Valley, etc.) eventually.

Anyone know if anything is ever going to happen with the San Antonio - Monterrey HSR that was mentioned a few years back?