View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 5:37 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieman View Post
Personally, I think the whole thing down Washington is a little too "stations of the cross" for me.

I've never been a fan of all the memorials in Wesley Bolin either. Starts to look like a New Orleans cemetery after a while.

My own personal preference would be to take the memorials out of Wesley Bolin and scatter them around the city (think pocket parks) and take the sculptures and the like from off of Washington and place them in Wesley Bolin.

Just my two cents.
I totally disagree. If you spread the memorials out through the City they lose their collective power and the Capitol Mall fails even more to be a grand civic space.

What needs to happen is for Bolin plaza to become an actual plaza and not just a nicely landscapped parking lot. We also need an actual "Capitol Mall", the buildings between Jefferson & Washington, between 7th Ave & Bolin should be torn down (save the Carnegie Library) and replaced with a great linear mall. Buildings facing said mall should be of higher density and mixed uses so the area doesn't die at 5pm.

I.E.: something like what they have in Tennessee would be nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicente...all_State_Park