View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:12 PM

When did DL announce it was going to fly GEG-LAX? And when does it start? There's nothing loaded onto DL's website, at least not through the end of May's flight schedules. I totally missed that. GEG has been practically begging airlines to initiate that service for years. The Airport was awarded an approximate $1,000,000 Federal Grant to use as an enticement and that was almost 1 1/2 years ago. I guess DL finally bit the bullet. But, I haven't seen it announced anywhere.

Also, BOI has UA to LAX because UA operates a true hub there, and also has a pretty significant presence @ BOI. So, with a strength at both ends of the route, plus all of the connecting options on UA or other Star Alliance partners, the service works, and that is with service which doesn't operate at optimal times for the Boise originating traveler (if flying on business, anyway). I'm not sure how well DL will do on GEG-LAX, as it still does not have the type of hub in place that UA does there, and the local demand is respectable but not through the roof with passengers. Also, it will depend upon what the schedule is, both for flight times and frequency, as to how well it will perform.

Time will tell, I suppose.

As for BOI, the AA service didn't work partially because it was up against too strong of a competitor in UA. That service was more established, connected to a true hub @ LAX, and UA has served BOI for decades so there are more loyal fliers to UA. I wouldn't put it past AS/QX to one day resurrect nonstop LAX service. Not sure if this is still the routing, but the BOI-SJC flight used to continue to LAX and return to SJC before heading back to BOI. That could be used to see how much traffic was flowing on the 1-stop same plane service and whether it warrants consideration of reintroducing nonstop BOI-LAX service.

With the AA/US merger, DFW service may finally happen next year sometime. AA was already interested in the route, but was awaiting 1 of 2 things to happen: an agreement with an operator to fly larger regional jets in the 76-seat category with 2-class cabins and/or the arrival of the A319s. Well, both are coming this year, so perhaps 2014 will see the addition of BOI-DFW.

Lastly, with G4 flying to both HNL & LAS, that is a great combination. I, too, hope the airline does well. The demand on the HNL route will support no more than a couple of flights a week, so it ain't goin' daily anytime soon..haha..but, if G4 begins flying to Maui in the next year, as is rumored, then perhaps it can do weekly to Kahului and twice-weekly to HNL. 3x weekly B757 service to the Hawaiian Islands sounds great to me!

BOIguy