View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:52 AM
them bones

SHANGHAI | Jin Mao Tower | 1,380 FT / 421 M | 88 FLOORS | 1999

This tower when completed kind of announced the Shanghai skyline to the architectural world. Designed by Adrian Smith of the SOM Chicago office, the design is based on a series of 8's which define the setbacks, facade break-up, and proportion. The building also has 88 floors.

I'm pretty sure this building replaced the John Hancock in Chicago as the tallest mixed-use tower in the world. There are offices up to the 56th floor, where begins an exquisite Grand Hyatt Hotel. An atrium is formed by the outer hotel rooms and is able to be looked down on from the 88th floor observation deck.

I have to say that I think this building is very hard to photograph...and I also have to say that I didn't think a whole lot of the design until I saw it in person. Once I arrived in Shanghai though, I went right to Lujiazui to see it. The layering of the facade and the proportioning is incredible. The (stainless?) skin reflects the sun wonderfully...and the jagged cap nearly rivals the Chrysler in terms of visual interest.

I did happen to also stay in the Jin Mao as a guest at the Hyatt. And thanks to Staff and Giallo (whom I got access to the hotel floors to see my room view above the construction of the SWFC), I didn't actually stay in my room. This was my last night in China after 3+ weeks of travelling and I had treated myself. Still, it was a nice room and a good place to clean up to get ready to go to the airport.

I'm hoping maybe some of the Shanghai guys will share some additional photos...