View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:06 PM

I've got some interesting facts about RTD
But are they real facts, Buddy?
Doobie; only the shadow knows that.

While doing some cleaning/organizing I ventured into my favorite closet where I found my trusty mechanical calculator. I gabbed it in order to do run some Simple Math.

For reference, I'm still wearing my favorite Suburban cap which you can find on the previous page. It's the snazzy looking cap in Bronco colors.

Compare and Contrast

Shorter ride-share trips might cost $5-$7.50 - one way or about the cost at McDonald's or Starbucks. Medium length ride-share trips might run $10-$15 so if one is commuting to their job you need to double that to $20 to $30 per day. Longer commutes would ofc be more but only a few could afford that.

A standard All Day RTD Regional Pass runs $10.50 for one person. If you're a couple going to a Rockies game then you need two tickets. Ride-share cost would remain the same as they are a per trip cost.

We know from the good info provided By Nathaniel Minor with CPR that RTD's annual revenue was $143 million in 2018 while operating expenses ran $777 million. This was a recapture rate of 18.4% which is consistent with RTD's 2019 June financial report of 18.6%.

Rounding up the recapture rate to 20% the Cost to RTD for an $10.50 all day pass would be $52.50. By deduction taxpayers are paying the $42 difference.

Go Figure

Streetsblog Denver reports that in 2018 RTD had 97.5 million total boarding's. If you use total revenue of $143 million as the numerator and 97.5 million as the denominator then RTD collected an average of $1.47 per boarding (or $2.93 for an all day pass).

We all take many things for granted. It was only recently that it sunk in just how much RTD's annual subsidy to provide transit service is; it comes to two-thirds of a billion $'s. Makes you appreciate the efficient delivery of necessities like water, electricity and yes, the internet.