View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I'm not so sure the games can be hosted at outdoor venues here at least, at least not optimally. Athens was built on the cheap but we have climate issues to deal with and I'd assume most venues would have to be indoors.
Phoenix isn't the first hot place to host an olympics. I don't think athletes today are nearly as wimpy as we give them credit for, they can handle the heat outdoors here just like they've been able to handle adverse weather in other locations. The only event I'd really have concerns about would be the marathons.

Quote:
The biggest problem with UoP stadium today is that it's just not big enough. Main Olympic venues (eg, opening/closing ceremonies) are at stadiums for 90,000 people and above.
The issue isn't the seating, it's the field space. Stadiums for opening/closing ceremonies are typically the same stadium where track and field events are held, and that means the field needs to be big enough for a track. University of Phoenix Stadium was purpose built for a football field, I don't think there's enough room for a track in there. Same reason why the Coliseum that USC uses is so lousy for football, a stadium with enough room for a track is too big for a football field.