View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 4:56 PM

Strong-Mayor system should be in place in Canada's largest cities. It makes more sense for the Mayor, to get directly elected with a Mandate but still have to sell to Council their positions and vice-versa. If the Mayor falls on their face then in 4 years they are quickly tossed aside. Let a Strong-Mayor do appointments, craft and sell a policy to Council, and have the power to Veto anything from Council that seems like a lump of coal.

Large cities need big vision policy that leads the city as whole well into the future. Toronto is stuck as its Council is full of lifers who only care about getting re-elected and the tree in their backyard.

25 person council forces large city Vision, but this should be dove-tailed with the creation of robust Community Councils to manage the finer-grained details of the City. I don't support Doug Ford's move but I am so over Toronto City Council that any shake-up at this point will be for the better. In my life, I have never seen a more inept City Council, things need to change in how they operate.