View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:26 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
If they didn't want to spend 40 million on a renovation project for the portrait gallery then there is no way they will shell out the cash for a whole new building. They wouldn't be able to skimp on the construction as people are expecting (and rightly so) something nice for this often-debated portrait gallery.
I think ajldub is making another point, which is an excellent one. The NCC or Public Works are probably not under any instruction to bid on behalf of Ottawa-Gatineau, it is up the the City to make its case as one of 9 invited cities. In that regard, the site at 150 Elgin is a perfect location for the City of Ottawa to mount a bid for the Gallery in terms of a Public-Private Partnership that will spread costs between public and private sector, timing, location (next to Confederation Boulevard), and a brilliant illustration of mixed-use development.

The only think I would say is that the Concert Hall need not fall through for the Portrait Gallery to locate in this building. The office space is relatively small compared to otehr downtown towers that are on the books, and Morguard is not exactly seeing a stampede of potential lessors. With a street entrance and an escalator, there is no reason why the Portrait Gallery could not enjoy a location on the second and third storeys, for example, featuring a full-windowed café overlooking Nepean Street.

I'm all in favour of your idea, ajldub.