View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Do you think that it's bad to mandate storefront type retail, or do you just dislike the planning dogma?

I agree that it is a bit of a dogma. However, I've also noticed that there seems to be a big payoff to having a lot of modern commercial spaces, and I've been surprised by how many of these spaces end up being filled by novel businesses. This article touches on it a bit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ifax-1.5033256
It's just that they parrot that requirement every single time. I get it, and it makes sense in commercial areas and on retail streets. but in largely residential areas, how many c-stores can one handle? It just seems absurd, especially in an area like this where there is virtually no parking and no nearby bus service TMK, so the catchment area is just local residents from within a couple of blocks.

BTW even though development in DT Dartmouth has been slow to come along, right now I am avoiding patronizing any businesses there because for whatever reason, the parking situation is just awful these days.