View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 7:39 PM
Long-Time Californian

A floating airport still seems a bit far-fetched to me. It'll be interesting to see how the idea moves forward.

I'd agree that it would be more practical to have passenger baggage check-in/pick-up and screening, and what-not, at a land-based location. A floating airport does not need lookee-loos getting in the way.

Passengers and luggage should then proceed to the floating facility along a secured path so security issues are not a concern. If it's 10 miles off the coast... it should also be fast to cut down on time. If the amount of time it takes between check-in and take-off is too extended... the less attractive of a service it becomes for users. I am afraid a ferry driven method would be too slow. A ferry also looks more vulnerable to variations in weather and quite possibly security.

As for some type of rail service to transport users, baggage, employees, and airport supplies/freight to the floating facility... that would be exhorbantly expensive. I'll guess $500m per mile to construct. 10 miles and we're talking $5 billion for the rail line. I am sure travel time to the airport would be at least 5 minutes, maybe 10 or more depending on the design speed and technology used.

All-in-all, I'd favor rebuilding a replacement to Miramar for the military at a site of their choosing (other than Lindbergh)... and then once the military is functional elsewhere... to redevelop Miramar into a commercial airport. In the absence of any solution really in sight, certianly nothing before 2015 or 2020... I remain steadfast about support for California High Speed Rail as an option to reduce demand for take-offs and landings for in-state air travel between the major metropolitan areas and push-out the projected date when Lindbergh would reach its expected capacity.

Last edited by bmfarley; Jul 19, 2007 at 7:45 PM.