View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 11:53 PM
Resident E. Vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
I am not arguing about your ratios or anything, I was just making a point that the population will be increasing and that translates to a need for more air paasengers to be accomodated, even if a lot of immigrants are poor. Bangkok just built an airport that i must say is extremely nice, I was in it 3 weeks ago and that city sees alot of wealthy foregners moving in as well as scores of dirt-poor refugees from the countryside which percentage-wise out-number the "wealthier people" by alot yet it is growing as a major air hub in SE Asia. I was in Bombay/Mumbai as well, and there are plans for a new airport because theirs is pretty gross and decaying. Both these cities have far more refugee influx of people at the lower end of the economic spectrum percentage-wise than San Diego does when you look at their immigration figures, yet their air passenger index is increasing with the population growth. You make it sound like the need for airline travel will decrease because our city is going to become poorer with uneducated people who don't travel by plane, and these people will stop the demand for increased air travel, I don't buy it because it hasn't happened elswhere where refugees contribute FAR greater percentage-wise to the immigrant populations than they do here.
I did go off on a tangent. I actually don't have an opinion on the airport except that I don't think that the desert or ocean floating ideas have any merit.

Unfortunately, I do believe that the overall population will get younger, poorer and less educated in the next 25-40 years (based on population trends) in all of the US and especially in Southern California.